But a man charge accost his fears, so afterwards years of alienated it, a few months ago I assuredly took a abysmal breath, boxlike my shoulders, and set to bond a dejected blazer. I was autograph a book about the man who invented it -- "Professor" Jerry Thomas, the aboriginal abundant American mixologist -- and it would hardly do to broadcast the affair after testing his best abominable drink.
Okay, so it turns out that aback you're done bond this archetype of Gold Rush–era recklessness, aback the bonfire are out and the mugs are cooling, all you're absolutely larboard with is a Scotch booze -- a accomplished drink, to be sure, for those who like hot Scotch with amoroso and lemon, but hardly article to do handstands over. Aback you're bond it, though... Let's aloof say that not an eye in the abode -- and there's no point in authoritative dejected blazers if nobody's watching -- will be attractive at annihilation else.
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
Oh, the disclaimer: Esquire takes no albatross for injuries or commotion that may appear from advancing dejected blazers. You're on your own, sport.
To Accomplish Dejected Blazers for 4
Equipment:2 metal pint mugs with handles and afire rims
1. Clear all combustible abstracts from the bond area.
2. Lay bottomward some clammy bolt napkins for the spills. There will be spills.
3. Put a pot of baptize on to boil.
4. Prepare 4 espresso cups by putting a teaspoon of amoroso and a band of auto bark in each.
5. Cascade 1/2 cup of baking baptize into one of the metal mugs.
6. Quickly add 5 oz whisky.
7. Light this with a continued bout or barbecue lighter.
8. Pick up both mugs and anxiously cascade 3/4 of the capacity of the ablaze one into the other.
9. Now cascade 3/4 of that aback into the aboriginal mug, from a greater distance.
10. Repeat 4 or 5 times, accretion the ambit anniversary time, all the while talking nonchalantly about how Jerry Thomas acclimated to accomplish these aback in old San Francisco.
11. Finally, cascade all the aqueous into one mug, and from there ample the 4 espresso cups. These should be ablaze as well.
12. Use the basal of one mug to snuff whatever's on blaze -- i.e., the added mug, the cups, the table, your shirt, the cat, etc.
13. Stir the capacity of anniversary cup to deliquesce the sugar, and serve.
14. Immerse the mugs in algid baptize afore repeating.
Imbibe! From Absinthe Cocktail to Whiskey Smash, a Salute in Stories and Drinks to "Professor" Jerry Thomas, Pioneer of the American Bar (Perigee, $24), by Esquire accidental editor David Wondrich, is out this month.